- 2 tart apples, such as Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, Jazz or Granny Smith
- 1 small Walla Walla or other sweet onion
- 3 red potatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 ounces Beecher's Flagship cheese, grated
- 3 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped herbs, such as sage, thyme, basil, dill, marjoram or oregano (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Trim both ends from apples and using a corer, remove core, leaving the apple whole. Using a mandolin or sharp knife, cut apples, onions and potatoes into thin slices, crosswise.
Arrange slices in a circular pattern in a cast iron skillet or round Dutch oven or baking dish. To do this, form a bundle of 1 apple slice, 2 potato slices and 1 slice or a few rings of onion and lay it in the pan. Continue forming these bundles and overlapping them in a circle around the outside of the pan. Then form additional concentric circles inside that one, still overlapping, until the entire pan is covered.
Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle cheeses on top. Pour cream evenly over the pan and sprinkle with herbs. Cover the pan with a lid or with foil.
Bake for 30 minutes then remove the cover. Place the pan back in the oven for 10 minutes more or until cheeses are bubbled and browned.