- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro leaves, divided
- 1/4 small jicama, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 large red or yellow bell pepper, julienne cut
- 1/4 English cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 carrot, shredded
- 2 ounces extra-firm tofu, thinly sliced
- 5 to 6 (6-inch diameter) rice "paper" wrappers, or large lettuce or cabbage leaves
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and fry until light golden brown.
Whisk chili sauce, vinegar, water and 2 teaspoon cilantro in a small bowl to blend. Add 1 tablespoon of the fried garlic along with some of the cooking oil.
Place remaining garlic and oil in a small bowl. Have jicama, peppers, cucumbers, carrots, tofu and reamaining cilantro ready in separate bowls or on a tray.
Fill a large bowl with warm water. One at a time, place each spring roll wrapper in the water for 5 seconds then remove and set on a plate.
Place some of the vegetables, tofu and cilantro on the lower third of the wrapper, leaving a 1-inch border. Sprinkle a little of the fried garlic over the vegetables. Bring the bottom edge of the wrapper up and over the filling, then tuck in the sides and continue rolling until completely wrapped. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling. Cut the rolls in half and serve with the sauce.
Optional: Add more vegetables, cooked noodles (cooked rice vermicelli) and fresh herbs (mint, basil, chives) to the rolls.