- 2 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups water
- 2 (14-ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
In a large, heavy-bottomed stockpot, cook ground turkey over medium heat. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking and to break turkey into smaller pieces. (Lightly spraying with oil and salting the bottom of the pan also will help prevent sticking.) When turkey is cooked, drain off and discard all fat and liquid.
Add onions, bell peppers, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chipotle powder, chili powder, cumin, thyme, salt and water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until veggies have slightly softened.
Remove from the heat and stir in beans and brown sugar. Add pepper, to taste.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member