- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 green onions
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup canned green chiles, drained
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound yellow onions, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a food processor, combine garlic, green onions, cilantro, chiles, tomatoes, cumin, paprika and oregano until the mixture is thick and vegetables and herbs are all coarsely chopped.
Warm oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat, and add onions. Cook until soft, about 8 minutes.
Add rice and continue to cook for 2 more minutes, until rice becomes slightly browned. Add water, pinto beans and chopped vegetable mixture and stir well. Adjust heat to medium-low.
Cover and let simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until rice is fully cooked. Season to taste with salt and pepper.