- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 3/4 cup diced onions
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 cup sliced leeks (white and light green parts, only)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound salmon fillet, bones removed and fish cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound other fish or shellfish, cut into 1/2-inch pieces or removed from the shell
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook bacon until brown and crispy, 5 to 7 minutes. Add onions and sauté until translucent and soft, about 7 minutes. Add celery, leeks, salt, pepper and thyme; sauté for another few minutes.
Add potatoes and vegetable stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a separate pan, make a roux by melting butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook until flour is light brown. Stir roux into soup and simmer an additional 5 minutes, to thicken.
Remove half the soup and carefully puree with an immersion blender or in a food processor or blender until smooth. Return mixture to the pot. Add salmon, fish and shellfish to the pot. Simmer just until fish is cooked through. Remove from the heat and stir in heavy cream and chopped parsley; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member