- 1 cup dried rye berries
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white balsmic vinegar or white Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 6 Roma tomatoes, sliced into rounds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
Pick over rye berries, rinse and drain. Bring 3 3/4 cups unsalted water to a boil in a saucepan. Add rye and return to a boil. Cover, lower the heat and simmer for about 1 hour. Let stand and cool to room temperature.
Combine vinegar, lemon juice, white balsamic or white Worcestershire sauce, mustard and red pepper flakes; whisk together well. Slowly add olive oil while whisking.
Combine cooled rye berries with parsley, olives and dressing; toss well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place on a platter or in a bowl with tomatoes around the edge. Garnish with shaved Parmesan.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member