- 7 slices bacon
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 pounds butternut squash – peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 Granny Smith apples, seeded and diced
- 1 pound fennel, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups (packed) arugula
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
Preheat oven to 325° F.
Place bacon on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, turning the pan half-way through. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup grease. Chop bacon into ¾-inch pieces; set aside.
Whisk together reserved bacon grease, lemon juice, oil, honey, garlic, marjoram, thyme, fennel seeds, salt and pepper.
Increase oven to 375° F.
Toss squash, apples and fennel with just enough bacon grease mixture to coat. Spread out on rimmed baking sheets and roast, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and just starting to brown, about 30 minutes.
Let vegetables cool and then toss with remaining bacon grease mixture, arugula, almonds and cranberries. Serve immediately.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member