- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 pound toasted pumpkin seeds (see note)
- 3/4 cup currants
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
Combine water, salt, pepper, coriander, allspice, fennel seeds and curry powder in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add rice and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff in a large bowl with oil and allow to cool.
Add pumpkin seeds, currants and parsley. Mix well.
To toast pumpkin seeds, preheat oven to 350° F. Spread seeds on a baking sheet and toast for 4 to 5 minutes. Let cool.