- 3 pounds beets, greens removed and roots scrubbed
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Black pepper, to taste
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 (5-ounce) container basil, leaves cut into ribbons
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Steam or boil beets until tender, about 20 minutes. Slip off peels under cool, running water while beets are still warm. Chop beets into bite-size pieces.
In a small skillet, toast pumpkin seeds over medium-high heat for 4 minutes.
Mix oil, vinegar, mustard and black pepper in a small bowl. Combine beets, pumpkin seeds, green onions and basil in a large bowl. Dress with vinaigrette and toss to coat. Sprinkle with feta cheese just before serving.