- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 (24-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 pound penne pasta
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
Warm 1 tablespoon olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, basil, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook until onions are tender, about 8 minutes.
Add tomatoes to onion mixture and simmer for 30 minutes.
While the sauce simmers, cook penne in ample, salted water according to instructions on package. Drain thoroughly.
Mix together vinegar, oregano and remaining oil. Add to tomato-onion mixture. Toss penne and Romano cheese with tomato mixture.