- 1 cup farro
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Black pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons basil oil
- 1/3 pound roma tomatoes, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 large cucumber - peeled, seeded and cut at an angle into 1/2-inch half-moon chunks
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 pound chard and kale mix (equal parts green kale, red kale and red chard, stems removed, cut into 1-inch pieces)
Soak farro in water overnight. Bring water, pre-soaked farro and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. Drain in a colander and let cool slowly at room temperature. Do not rinse. When cooled, place in a large bowl and refrigerate.
Mix together lemon juice, garlic, dill, basil, salt, pepper and both oils until dressing is blended. Toss dressing with grains, tomatoes, cucumber and carrots.
To serve, toss equal parts farro-vegetable mixture and loosely packed greens in a bowl.