- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sumac
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 stalk lemongrass, smashed
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 ounce coconut butter (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced
Preheat oven to 325° F. Bake chicken on a parchment-lined baking sheet until the internal temperature taken with an instant-read thermometer reaches 165° F, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool and then cube. Toast coconut on a separate baking sheet until just starting to color, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
In a saucepan, combine vinegar, water, garlic, ginger, sumac, coriander, bay leaf, lemongrass and cayenne. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain sauce, if desired, and let cool slightly. Remove bay leaf.
Mix the warm vinegar mixture with tamari and coconut butter. Toss sauce with chicken, red onions, green onions and shredded coconut.