- 1 1/2 pounds winter squash - peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus additional for roasting
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onions
- 1/4 cup diced green bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cups frozen sweet corn, thawed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 pound cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 pound cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 corn tortillas
- 7 ounces canned diced green chiles
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted red peppers
Preheat oven to 400˚ F.
Toss squash in 1 tablespoon oil and salt. Roast on a baking sheet for 30 minutes or until soft and nicely browned.
Heat remaining oil over medium heat and add onions, green peppers, corn, garlic, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, oregano and 1 teaspoon salt. Sauté until onions are soft, about 8 minutes.
Puree cream cheese, ricotta cheese and eggs in food processor.
In a small bowl, mix together cotija cheese and cheddar cheese.
In a 9- by 13-inch baking pan, layer 1/2 of the corn tortillas, squash, green chiles, onion mixture, roasted peppers, cheddar/cotija mixture and cream cheese mixture. Repeat, setting aside a bit of the onion and cheddar/cotija mixture for the top of the casserole.
Bake for 40 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 20 minutes to desired brownness.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member