- 1 pound yams, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 pound red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced into 1/4-inch half moons
Preheat oven to 350º F.
Steam or boil yams and potatoes for 10 minutes to parboil. Rinse lightly to cool.
Toss yams and potatoes in 1/4 cup oil, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until brown and tender.
To caramelize onions, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat until hot; add sliced onions and sauté for about 3 minutes without stirring. Continue to sauté over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to brown. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to slowly sauté, stirring about once a minute, until onions are soft and brown. This process can take 15 to 45 minutes depending on desired darkness of onions. Cool.
Combine roasted yams, potatoes and caramelized onions.