- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 eggplant, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, quartered if small or cut into 6 pieces
- 1 pound ripe Roma tomatoes, cut up
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 10 ounces fettuccine pasta
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella, diced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped Italian parsley leaves
Have a large pot of water ready to cook pasta.
Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add diced eggplant and cook until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add remaining 1/4 cup oil, garlic and mushrooms to the sauté pan and cook until golden. Add tomatoes, eggplant, salt and pepper.
Lets sauce simmer while cooking the pasta very al dente. Drain, saving a small amount of cooking water, then add pasta to the sauce and toss well.
Add a small amount of pasta water if the mixture is too dry. Turn heat off and add diced mozzarella. Stir very gently, but don’t allow cheese to totally melt. Serve immediately, garnished with chopped parsley.