- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 6 ounces pancetta, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound small peas (if frozen, thawed)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 pound pasta (farfalle [bowties], shells or penne work well)
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and pancetta and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until pancetta is soft. Add pepper and peas and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Add wine and reduce; add salt to taste. Turn off the heat.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of water with 1 tablespoon salt. Cook pasta very al dente. Drain pasta, saving 1 cup cooking water, and return pasta back to the pan. Add pea mixure and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add reserved pasta water as needed. Stir in Romano and serve.