- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons high-heat oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 small hot red chile, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin julienne strips
- 6 cups coarsely chopped winter greens in any combination
- 20 Thai or sweet basil leaves
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- Steamed jasmine rice, for serving
In a small bowl combine rice wine vinegar, brown sugar and fish sauce or soy sauce. Set aside.
Heat the oil over high heat in a wok or large sauté pan. Stir-fry garlic, ginger, onions and mushrooms for 1 minute. Add chile and red bell peppers and cook for 1 minute more.
Stir in greens and, if needed, add a splash of water or white wine to moisten the pan. Cook greens until bright jade in color and just tender, about 2 minutes. (At this point, the degree of tenderness depends on your taste. If you prefer your greens a little more well done, cover the pan and let them cook for 3 to 5 minutes more or until they reach your desired texture.) With the pan still on high heat, add fish sauce mixture, basil leaves and cashews.
Heat through and serve over steamed jasmine rice.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member