- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 5 to 8 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tart red apple, cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon white wine or apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Cook Brussels sprouts in boiling, salted water 3 to 4 minutes or until tender but still bright green. Refresh in cold water and drain.
In a heavy sauté pan, cook bacon over medium heat until lightly crisped. Remove from the pan and pour off excess bacon fat.
Place the sauté pan back over medium heat and add oil. Stir in shallots, apples and rosemary and cook about 3 minutes, until shallots are pale gold. Stir in Brussels sprouts and toss to heat through. Add hazelnuts, cranberries and crisped bacon and cook for 1 minute. Stir in maple syrup and wine or vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member