- 2 cups apple cider
- 6 to 8 slices pancetta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 4 ounces chanterelle mushrooms, cleaned and cut in half lengthwise (see note)
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 Rome apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup mixed with 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Place cider in a heavy saucepan and boil to reduce to about 1/2 cup.
Cook pancetta over medium-high heat in a wide sauté pan, turning once, until crisp and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and set aside. Drain excess fat from the pan and place it back over the heat.
Melt butter in the pan. Add shallots and chanterelles and cook until mushrooms are tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in apples and cook for 1 additional minute. Add hazelnuts, cranberries, reduced cider and maple syrup-cider vinegar mixture. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 1 minute to meld the flavors.
If chanterelles are unavailable, you may substitute sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms (remove the woody stems). Their flavor is buttery and earthy.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member