- 22 thin asparagus spears, divided
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen country-style potatoes, thawed
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/2 lemon, juiced, or more to taste
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Cut the tough ends off asparagus spears. Place potatoes in the bottom of a lightly buttered 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Top with grated cheese.
Place 20 asparagus spears in a criss-cross pattern on top of cheese, pressing them down a bit. Combine eggs with milk, thyme, salt and pepper. Pour egg batter over asparagus.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden and puffy.
Heat oil in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Cook shallots and garlic for 30 seconds. Cut remaining asparagus into 1-inch lengths. Add asparagus,peppers, olives and lemon juice; sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
Serve strata with the garnish on the side.
You may make this dish in individual oven-proof ramekins. Simply cut asparagus a little shorter, divide the ingredients up between the ramekins and top with egg batter.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member