- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 small celery root, peeled and diced (or substitute 2 chopped celery ribs)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and diced
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 to 3 quarts chicken stock
- 2 cups chopped leftover turkey meat
- 2 cups coarsely chopped leafy winter greens
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a heavy soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and add onions, celery root, carrots and parsnips. Cook, stirring, until onions are translucent and slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in quinoa and herbs. Cook for 1 minute more.
Add 2 quarts chicken or turkey stock and simmer the mixture for 15 to 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. (If quinoa absorbs too much liquid, add additional stock.) Stir in turkey meat and greens and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes to wilt greens.