- 7 to 8 cups vegetable or chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 pound assorted mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions or shallots
- 1 pound Arborio rice (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Bring stock to a simmer in a saucepan; reduce heat and keep it at a bare simmer.
Heat a 6-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms to the dry pan and cook until liquid evaporates, 5 to 10 minutes. Add oil, 1/3 cup butter, thyme leaves, garlic and onions or shallots. Sauté until lightly golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Add rice and stir for 1 minute. Add wine and cook until it evaporates.
Reduce heat to medium and add 1/2 cup simmering stock. Stir constantly until stock is absorbed. Add another 1/2 cup stock. Repeat until rice is creamy and al dente, about 20 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in remaining 2 tablespoons butter, Parmesan, salt and pepper.