- 1 1/2 cups whole milk or coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil or butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour or 5 tablespoons refined spelt flour
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds chopped or sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine or sherry
Heat milk and broth in a small saucepan. In another saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter or coconut oil. Stir in flour and let cook until it starts to lightly color, stirring often. Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the warm liquid. Return to the heat and let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper.
While the sauce is cooking, prepare mushrooms. In a skillet, sauté mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil until lightly golden. Add Marsala and sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer mushrooms and any liquid to the sauce. Let the sauce simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, covered, stirring often. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.