- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless, chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound rutabagas, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup couscous
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oil in a heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, 4 to 6 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
Add onions, garlic and ginger to the pot. Cook until onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in cumin, coriander, turmeric and cinnamon; cook for 1 minute. Add chicken, rutabagas, apricots, tomatoes and chicken stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through and rutabagas are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
While stew is simmering, prepare couscous according to package instructions. When couscous is cooked, fold in almonds and cilantro. Serve chicken stew over couscous.
Make sure to cut the rutabagas into very small pieces, or you will substantially increase their cooking time.