- 1 cup French green lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup minced red onions
- 1/2 cup seeded, diced roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pitted, thinly sliced Kalamata olives
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 heads Belgian endive or 2 heads radicchio
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Rinse lentils and combine with water, sea salt and bay leaf in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook until soft but not mushy, 40 to 45 minutes. Drain, rinse under cool water and chill.
Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic. Set aside.
Combine lentils gently with oregano, onions, tomatoes and olives. Toss gently, but thoroughly with dressing. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or more before serving.
Wash and dry endive or radicchio leaves. If using radicchio, tear leaves into bite-sized pieces that are cupped enough to hold a spoonful of lentils. Fill leaves with lentil salad and sprinkle with cheese and additional oregano, if desired.
Variation: Substitute your favorite bottled vinaigrette.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member