- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 eggplant, cut in bite-size pieces
- 3 to 4 fresh bell peppers, sliced
- 2 zucchini, sliced in half moons
- 1/2 pound potatoes, cut in bite-size pieces
- Olive oil, for coating vegetables
- Salt, to taste
- 4 ripe tomatoes or 1 (14-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained
- 4 to 6 cups water, vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1 (14-ounce) can, pitted small black olives
- Bouquet garni (see note)
- Deli-made olive tapenade or Romano cheese, to garnish (optional)
Mix garlic, onions, eggplant, peppers, zucchini and potatoes in a large baking pan. Toss lightly with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Roast in a 425º F oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
While vegetables are roasting, stir tomatoes into heated stock. Stir in roasted vegetables and bouquet garni; simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, then add black olives
Serve with a healthy portion of Basic Soft Polenta and a spoonful of prepared olive tapenade.
A bouquet garni is a collection of herbs and spices wrapped in cheesecloth or a muslin bag that is added to a stock for flavoring, then removed at the end of the cooking time. For this recipe, use parsley stems, a bay leaf, a sprig of thyme, and 5 to 7 cracked peppercorns.