- Serves: Makes 6 to 8 Tacos
- 2 (8-ounce) packages tempeh, crumbled or chopped into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from 2 large limes)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 taco shells or tortillas
- Avocado slices (optional)
- Grated pepper jack or mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Salsa (optional)
- Shredded lettuce (optional)
Put the tempeh in a medium bowl. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon oil, salt, lime juice, and chili powder and then pour this marinade over the tempeh. Let it marinate for 30 minutes or up to several hours; more time allows the tempeh to absorb more of the flavor.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add the onion and sauté until soft, about 5 to 8 minutes. Increase the heat slightly and add the marinated tempeh. Keep the tempeh moving in the pan until it turns golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the cilantro just prior to serving.
Warm the taco shells or tortillas according to the directions on the package. Fill each shell with the tempeh mixture and top with avocado, cheese, salsa and lettuce.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member