- 1 cup red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 4 cups water or stock
- 2 thin slices unpeeled ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Place lentils in a large saucepan with water and ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until lentils are nearly dissolved, about 45 minutes (4 minutes in a pressure cooker). Remove ginger and purée the mixture. Sauté remaining spices in oil, letting cumin seeds pop. Add spices to lentils and stir to mix. Taste for seasoning.
Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Serve with rice or an Indian bread and a cool blend of yogurt and cucumbers to finish. Freezes well (bring up the flavors with a splash of fresh lemon or lime juice).
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member