- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup French green lentils, rinsed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch kale, tough stems removed and leaves shredded
- Splash of balsamic vinegar
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic and cook until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in thyme, lentils, salt, pepper and vegetable stock; bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer until lentils are cooked but still firm, 20 to 30 minutes.
Stir in beans, kale and balsamic vinegar. Simmer until heated through and kale is tender.