- 2 zucchini, grated
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 3/4 to 1 cup water, as needed
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- High-heat oil, for frying
- Sesame Seed Dipping Sauce, for serving
Combine zucchini, carrots and salt in a colander. Place the colander in the sink and let sit for 15 minutes. Using a clean dish towel, squeeze out as much moisture from zucchini and carrots as possible (this is easiest done in batches).
Place zucchini, carrots, green onions, garlic, ginger, flour, water and sesame oil in a bowl. Mix just until combined.
Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Drop zucchini batter by 1/4 cupfuls into the pan. Cook until golden and crisp, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Continue with remaining batter, adding more oil as needed.
Serve with Sesame Seed Dipping Sauce or tamari sauce.