- 1 1/2 tablespoons high-heat oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup ground chicken or pork
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup steamed jasmine rice
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon thinly shredded fresh ginger
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped cilantro
- Pinch of ground white pepper
Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat, then add garlic. Stir constantly; when garlic turns yellow, remove half the garlic and reserve for a garnish. Stir in chicken and cook, then season with salt and soy sauce. Add chicken broth and jasmine rice and cook on medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
When the soup reaches the desired thickness, it is almost ready to serve. Crack the egg and drop in the center of the soup. You may stir it in or poach it in the hot soup — it can take from 30 seconds to 1 minute, depending on preferred doneness for the egg.
Pour soup into a serving bowl and top with reserved fried garlic, ginger, green onions, cilantro and a pinch of white pepper.
You may use cold leftover rice or cooked warm rice.