- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon whole milk, divided
- 2 teaspoons potato starch
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar, or to taste
- 2 broad strips orange zest, for garnish (optional)
In a small dish, whisk together 1 tablespoon milk with potato starch. Set aside.
Combine cocoa powder and sugar in a small saucepan. Slowly whisk in remaining milk, set pan over low heat and bring mixture to a simmer. Give the starch-milk mixture a quick stir and whisk into the saucepan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, whisking continuously, until hot chocolate has thickened.
Divide between two small mugs and place a strip of orange zest on top of each.