- 6 red bell peppers
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 2 ounces chèvre cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup finely minced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Dried currants
- Dried cranberries
- Chopped green olives
- Sautéed eggplant
- Sweet corn kernels
- Black beans
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Cut the tops off peppers and remove seeds.
In a bowl, combine cooked rice with cheddar, chèvre, basil, green onions and hazelnuts. Season with salt and pepper, and include any optional additions into this mixture. Generously stuff each pepper with the mixture. Place peppers in a casserole dish and cover. Bake until the filling is hot through and the peppers are crisp-tender, about 30 minutes.
Remove lid and pour marinara sauce over peppers. Top with cheese reserved for garnish. Place peppers back into the oven for 10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.