- 1 ounce hibiscus flowers
- 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 1 whole clove
- 2 quarts hot water
- 1 to 2 cups sugar
Combine flowers, cinnamon and clove in a half-gallon pitcher. Pour hot water over the mixture, stir and let sit overnight at room temperature.
The next day, strain and sweeten to taste. To serve, dilute concentrate to taste with ice and water.
Global flavor variations:
• Add a split, 2-inch piece of vanilla bean during steeping; serve garnished with fresh mint (Senegal).
• Add a splash of orange blossom water; garnish with fresh mint (Egypt).
• Add a 1-inch knob of peeled ginger root (Jamaica).
• Steep plain, with no spices (Mexico).
• Steep with no spices; add a 3-inch piece of fresh lemongrass (Philippines).
Adult serving suggestions:
• To make a shandy, try a 25-75 blend of concentrate and crisp pilsner.
• For a great margarita, combine 4 ounces hibiscus concentrate with 1 1/2 ounces tequila. Dip the glass rim in Hibiscus Salt and garnish with lime.