- 1 pound mixed crimini and shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup Marsala wine
- 4 to 5 tablespoons plum jam
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
In a saucepan, sauté mushrooms in oil until mushrooms start to brown. Add tomato paste, Marsala, plum jam and herbs; simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Add vegetable stock and let simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, until it reduces to about 2 1/2 cups. Add lemon juice, to taste.
Taste and add more plum jam, lemon juice, salt and pepper if needed. Add arrowroot mixture and stir until thickened.
The sauce freezes well. Defrost and reheat.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member