- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, 3 crushed and 3 minced, divided
- 18 asparagus spears, tough ends trimmed
- 12 slices rustic bread, such as Ciabatta or baguette
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced basil
- 1 fresh mango - peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 lemon, or to taste
- Lemon slices and fresh herbs, for garnish
Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill to high. Combine 1/4 cup olive oil and 3 crushed cloves garlic in a small bowl and let sit while the grill heats. Toss asparagus in enough of the seasoned oil to coat it lightly. Brush both sides bread slices with oil.
Cook asparagus and bread slices, turning once or twice, for a scant 2 to 3 minutes or until grill marks show. The asparagus should be deep emerald in color but still tender-crisp and the bread a light golden. Remove spears and bread to a platter.
Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add remaining 3 tablespoons oil. Stir-fry remaining 3 cloves minced garlic and thyme for about 15 seconds. Add capers, olives, peppers and basil and cook to heat through. Fold in mango slices, squeeze with lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
Place 2 bread slices on each of 6 individual plates, and criss-cross 3 asparagus spears on top. Spoon mango-olive-caper mixture over asparagus and bread. Garnish with lemon slices and sprigs of thyme, basil or parsley.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member