- 1 bunch greens (kale, collards, chard, or escarole), torn into small pieces
- 1 to 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups cooked white beans
- 1 (14-ounce) can peeled crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Crusty bread or pasta, for serving (optional)
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Place greens or escarole in a large pan and then place in layers: potatoes, onions, beans and tomatoes. Add salt and pepper. Cover and steam on low heat until the pile has reduced by at least half. Stir and cook until greens are thoroughly wilted.
Splash with lemon juice just before serving. Sprinkle on grated Romano or Parmesan cheese.
Serve with a crusty bread and extra virgin olive oil. It makes a complete meal when served over pasta.
If you like a creamier texture, remove some of the cooked beans and potatoes and purée with vegetable or chicken stock.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member