- 1 pink or Rio Red grapefruit
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Splash of hot sauce, to taste
Cut a small slice off each end of grapefruit and stand upright on a cutting surface. With a knife, remove peel from grapefruit in strips, maintaining the curved shape. Holding the grapefruit in one hand, cut out fruit segments between the membranes (this is called “supreming”).
Very gently toss all ingredients together. Serve as a lively side dish to grilled or roasted fish.
To turn this into a pretty salad, reserve any juices that accumulate while supreming the grapefruit. In a small bowl, combine juice with 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss dressing with salad greens and top with grapefruit-avocado mixture.