- 1 1/2 cups (about 1/2 pound) chopped grapefruit
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half
Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease or line 9 muffin cups; fill the other 3 halfway with water.
Combine grapefruit, 1/4 cup brown sugar and fennel in a bowl. Let sit for about 15 minutes. Drain of excess juice.
In a small bowl, beat together butter and remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until combined. Stir in zest. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add butter mixture alternately with half-and-half, mixing until just moistened. Gently fold in grapefruit. Divide batter between the prepared muffin cups.
Bake until muffins are dry and springy to the touch, about 25 minutes. Cool muffins in the pan for 5 minutes before removing. Serve warm.