- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 grapefruits, peeled and segmented
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes (see note)
- 1/4 chopped macadamia nuts, toasted (optional)
Bring water and coconut milk to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in oats and salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes.
Melt butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add grapefruit segments and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Reduce heat to low and cook until caramelized, about 3 minutes.
When oats are creamy and tender, stir in remaining brown sugar and vanilla. Divide between four bowls and top with grapefruit, coconut flakes and macadamia nuts.
For more intense flavor, lightly toast coconut flakes in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden, 2 to 4 minutes.