- 1 (5-pound) whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 ounces baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup cojita cheese, grated or crumbled, for garnish (optional)
Cut chicken into parts. Save the back for making chicken stock. Place parts in a 9-by 13-inch baking dish. Put breasts and thighs bone-side up. Preheat oven to 350° F.
Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet or heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and salt and cook until onions have softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne and sugar. Cook for 15 to 30 seconds until fragrant. Stir in tomato sauce and water and bring to a simmer. Add chocolate and stir until melted. Let sauce simmer for about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed.
Pour sauce over chicken. Cover pan and bake for 1 hour.