- 2 chopped apples
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups plus 1 tablespoon whole-grain flour (wheat, spelt or barley), divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups muscovado or demerara sugar
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups non-fat sour cream or quark
Preheat oven to 325° F. Lightly oil a 8- or 9-inch square baking pan.
Mix chopped apples with brown sugar, 1 tablespoon flour and cinnamon. Bring to a boil in a saucepan and cook for about 4 minutes. Set aside.
Beat together muscovado or demerara sugar, applesauce, vanilla and eggs in a bowl. Beat in dry ingredients, alternating with sour cream.
Spread half the batter in the prepared pan, sprinkle with apple filling, and spread with remaining batter. Bake for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean.