- 6 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), chopped
- 6 ounces (about 3/4 cup) chèvre cheese
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon pure lemon extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted, for coating the truffles
Melt chocolate in a metal bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, stirring until smooth. Remove the bowl from the pan and let chocolate cool slightly.
In a separate bowl, whisk together cheese, sugar, vanilla and lemon extract until the mixture is light and fluffy. Whisk in chocolate until the mixture is combined well. Chill the mixture, covered, for 1 hour or until it is firm.
Form heaping teaspoons of the mixture into balls and roll in cocoa powder. Chill truffles on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper for 30 minutes, or until they are firm. The truffles keep in an airtight container, chilled, for 3 to 4 days.