- 3/4 cup pitted dates, soaked in water 2 to 3 tablespoons water to plump
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 4 cups oat flour
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup cold-pressed oil (walnut, safflower or sunflower all work great)
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips or 1/4 cup extra nuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Chop dates and soaking liquid in a food processor until smooth. Add fresh ginger and blend well.
In a bowl, combine oat flour, oats and almonds. In another bowl, combine oil, maple syrup, almond extract and salt. Mix wet and dry ingredients together until just combined.
Lightly spray a 9-inch square baking dish with oil. Press half the flour mixture into the bottom of the pan. Spread pureed dates over the top, then press remaining flour mixture onto dates. Sprinkle crystallized ginger and chocolate chips or nuts over the top.
Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool then cut into squares.