- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 teaspoons red curry paste, or to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk, divided
- 1 1/2 cups diced chicken thigh meat or 1 cup sliced mixed fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups peeled and diced winter squash or pumpkin
- 1/2 cup Thai or other basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
Heat canola oil and red curry paste in a large pot over medium-high heat; stir constantly until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in 3 tablespoons coconut milk and let cook for 30 seconds. Add chicken or mushrooms and stir until cooked through. Pour in water and stir in squash or pumpkin and let cook for 8 minutes.
Stir in remaining coconut milk and bring back to a boil. Stir in basil and sugar and cook for only 30 seconds, stirring well.