- 2 cups seasonal fruit, cut (a good combination is blackberries and peaches)
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon tapioca flour (depending on the juiciness of fruit)
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 400º F. Butter a small 8-inch square baking dish.
Wash and trim fruit to desired size. In a bowl, toss fruit with 1 tablespoon sugar and tapioca flour. Let stand a few minutes. If the filling looks very runny, add a bit more tapioca and wait a few more minutes.
For the crust, combine pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1 tablespoon sugar in a bowl. Using your fingers, work butter into flour until a coarse meal is formed. Add buttermilk and stir to form a soft dough.
Pour fruit into the prepared baking pan and drop dough by large spoonfuls on top. Sprinkle with a bit of sugar and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until fruit is bubbling and topping is golden.
Dairy-free option: Use soymilk with a drop of lemon juice in place of buttermilk, and use coconut oil in place of butter.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member