- 3 strips bacon, finely chopped
- 1 ear fresh white sweet corn
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3/4 cup grated sharp white cheddar
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped chiles (optional)
Preheat oven to 425° F.
Cook bacon in a heavy sauté pan until crisp. Drain and reserve drippings.
Shuck corn and carve kernels off the cob. Don’t cut too deeply. With the blade of your knife scrape any milky juices from the cob onto the kernels. Place kernels and their juices in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs and milk; blend well.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar and pepper. Add to corn and milk mixture. Stir in melted butter. Fold in bacon and cheddar. Add chives and chiles, if desired.
Pour a scant 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon bacon drippings into the bottom of individual popover pans or muffin cups. Place in the oven to heat for 3 minutes. Remove and pour the popover batter into each cup, filling about 3/4 full. Bake until deep golden and puffed, 15 to 25 minutes depending on the size of the pans.