- 1 pint strawberries, capped and sliced
- 3/4 cup natural cane sugar, divided
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 cups cubed angel food or pound cake
- 1/4 cup brandy or Grand Marnier
- 2 pints fresh blueberries
- 1 cup pitted cherries
- 1 cup chopped plums
- 1 cup chopped nectarines
- 2 cups custard or vanilla pudding
Combine strawberries with 1/4 cup sugar and set aside. Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise, scrape out the sticky paste and fold it into the cream. Whip cream with 1/2 cup sugar until soft peaks form.
Layer 1/2 the cake cubes in a clear bowl, drizzle with 1/2 the brandy and sprinkle 1/2 the fruit, including the strawberries with their juice, over the cake. Top with 1/2 the custard or vanilla pudding and 1/2 the whipped cream. Repeat the layers with cake, brandy, fruit and custard. Spread the last of the whipped cream over the top and garnish with extra fruits.
Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.