- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 pound ripe apricots, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add spices and toast until fragrant, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes.
Pour in vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork and stir in apricots, almonds, mint and lemon zest. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.