- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced very thin
- 5 teaspoons arrowroot
- 2 1/2 cups warm stock plus 1/2 cup extra, if needed
- 5 tablespoons white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
In a 1 1/2-quart sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots and mushrooms and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Do not brown.
Dissolve arrowroot in warm stock, being sure to whisk it very carefully and scrape the bottom and corners of the pan or bowl.
Add arrowroot/stock mixture to mushroom mixture. Combine well with a wooden spoon. Add wine and seasonings and bring up to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower to a simmer and cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Add more stock if it is too thick. Taste and adjust seasonings to your own preference.